In the history of UFO research, many people have tried to estimate how many individuals might have undergone abduction experiences. According to a 2002 nationwide Roper poll, 2.9 million Americans are reporting unusual experiences consistent with those related to the UFO-abduction phenomenon.
The following test was designed by UFO-abduction-research experts Budd Hopkins and Dave Jacobs to determine the likelihood that an individual has had a UFO-abduction experience. Please review the following list of experiences that might or might not have happened to you at some point in your life, as either a child or as an adult, or both. For each item, please indicate whether this has happened to you once or more than once, or never.
To be a part of the survey that is taking place on the SciFi channel website please go to:
It is difficult to know with any certainty whether you have been an alien abductee. To date, no one has been able to offer concrete proof of the phenomenon. Yet there are many people in the world who claim to have had this experience. With no proof and conflicting opinions, how can you know if you have been taken?
Most people who claim to have been abducted exhibit similar characteristics. Whether there are lingering effects of abduction is still a subject of heated debate. The SCIFI.COM UFOlogy Resource Center has collected the 58 most common signs of abduction. If you exhibit some or all of these signs, you may want to consider the possibility that you have been taken. Remember, this is by no means proof that you have had an abduction experience. Instead, consider these questions a tool to compare your experience with those of others.
Compiled by Melinda Leslie
1. Have you had unexplainable missing or lost time of one hour or more?
2. Have you been paralyzed in bed with a being in your room?
3. Have you found unusual, inexplicable scars or marks (small scoop indentation, straight line scar, triangular marks, scars in roof of mouth, in nose, behind or in ears, etc.)?
4. Have you seen balls of light or flashes of light in your home or at other locations?
5. Do you have a memory of flying through the air that could not be a dream, or many dreams involving flying?
6. Do you have a strong "marker memory" that will not go away (e.g., an alien face, an examination, a needle, a table, a strange skinny baby)?
7. Have you seen beams of light outside your home, or beams that enter your room through a window?
8. Have you had many dreams of UFOs, beams of light, or alien beings?
9. Have you had a shocking UFO sighting or multiple sightings?
10. Do you have a cosmic awareness - i.e., an interest in ecology, the environment or vegetarianism; or are you very socially conscious?
11. Have you had a strong sense of having a mission or an important task to perform, without knowing from where this compulsion comes?
12. Have you had a secret feeling that you are somehow "special" or "chosen"?
13. Have you had unexplainable events occur in your life, and felt strangely anxious afterward?
14. Have you had several strange psychic experiences, such as knowing that something is going to happen before it happens?
15. For women only: Have you had a false pregnancy or a missing fetus (pregnant, and then not)?
16. Have you awoken in a different place from where you went to sleep, or in a place where you don't remember going to sleep. (e.g., waking up with your head at the foot of your bed, or in your car)?
17. Have you had a dream of eyes, such as animal eyes (like an owl's or deer's), or do you remember seeing an animal looking in at you? Do you have a fear of eyes?
18. Have you awoken, startled, in the middle of the night?
19. Do you have a strong reaction to the cover art on Whitley Strieber's novel Communion, or to pictures of aliens? Either an aversion to these images or a feeling of being drawn to them?
20. Do you have inexplicably strong fears or phobias (e.g., fear of heights, snakes, spiders, large insects, certain sounds, bright lights or being alone, or fear for your personal security)?
21. Have you experienced self-esteem problems much of your life?
22. Have you seen someone with you become paralyzed, motionless or frozen in time, especially someone you sleep with?
23. Do you remember having a special place with spiritual significance when you were a youngster?
24. Is there someone in your life who claims to have witnessed a ship or alien near you or who remembers you having been missing?
25. Have you found, at any time, blood or a strange stain on a sheet or pillow, with no explanation as to how it got there?
26. Do you have an interest in UFO sightings or aliens, perhaps feeling compelled to read about it a lot?
27. Do you have an extreme aversion to the subject of UFOs or aliens, a sense that you don't want to talk about them?
28. Have you been suddenly compelled to drive or walk to an out-of-the-way or unknown area?
29. Do you have the feeling of being watched much of the time, especially at night?
30. Have you had dreams of passing through a closed window or a solid wall?
31. Have you seen a strange fog or haze that should not be there?
32. Have you heard strange humming or pulsing sounds from an indefinable source?
33. Have you had unusual nosebleeds at any time in your life? Or have you awoken with a nosebleed?
34. Have you awoken with soreness in your genitals which cannot be explained?
35. Have you had back or neck problems, with T-3 vertebrae out often, or awoken with an unusual stiffness in any part of the body?
36. Have you had chronic sinusitis or nasal problems?
37. Have you had electronics around you go haywire or malfunction oddly with no explanation (such as street lights going out as you walk under them, TVs and radios affected as you move close, etc.)?
38. Have you seen a hooded figure in or near your home, especially next to your bed?
39. Have you had frequent or sporadic ringing in your ears, especially in one ear?
40. Do you have an unusual fear of doctors, or do you tend to avoid medical treatment?
41. Do you have puzzling insomnia or sleep disorders?
42. Have you had dreams of doctors or medical procedures?
43. Have you suffered frequent or sporadic headaches, especially in the sinus, behind one eye, or in one ear?
44. Do you have the feeling that you are going crazy for even thinking about these sorts of things?
45. Have you had paranormal or psychic experiences, including intuition?
46. Have you been prone to compulsive or addictive behavior?
47. Have you channeled telepathic messages from extraterrestrials?
48. Have you simply heard an external voice in your head, speaking to you, perhaps instructing or guiding you?
49. Have you been afraid of your closet, now or as a child?
50. Have you had sexual or relationship problems (such as an odd "feeling" that you must not become involved in a relationship because it would interfere with "something")?
51. Do you have to sleep against the wall, or must you sleep with your bed against a wall?
52. Do you have a fear that you must be very vigilant or "someone" will take you away?
53. Do you have a difficult time trusting other people, especially authority figures?
54. Have you had dreams of destruction or catastrophe?
55. Do you have the feeling that you are not supposed to talk about these things, or that you will be punished if you talk about them?
56. Have you experienced many things in this list, and recall your children or parents speaking of similar experiences on occasion?
57. Have you tried to resolve these types of problems with little or no success?
58. Do you have many of these traits, but can't remember anything about an abduction or alien encounter?
By Richard D. Butler
In an effort to simplify the reporting and matriculation of abductions, Richard D. Butler devised this system to categorize the most common types of abduction experiences.
- Lucid Dreaming
Lucid Dreaming is the act of dreaming while in a semiconscious state. The subconscious mind guides the dream. In lucid dreaming cases there is no extraterrestrial influence.
- Telepathic Lucid Dream
Lucid dream experiences influenced by exterior stimuli. It is theorized that a Telepathic Lucid Dream is achieved via technology that enhances psychic ability, allowing the intrusion of the subject's subconscious. In cases of Telepathic Lucid Dreaming, the subject reports the dissociation of the typical dream state and the insertion of messages and scenarios that often induce a feeling of dread. If the subject awakens immediately afterward, they report a circle of glowing whitish-colored energy on the ceiling, approximately two to three feet in diameter, with a shaft of similar energy slowly retracting back into the circle. This shaft usually is approximately three to six inches in diameter and two-point-five to four feet long.
- Psi- or Bio-Energy Field Extraction
The extraction of a "conscious energy field" from a subject. Subjects usually describe a feeling of "deep penetration" throughout the body followed by a pulling sensation. This is the abduction classification that accounts for "missing time" experiences.
- Physical Abduction
The physical removal of the subject from their natural environment to an alien environment. In almost all cases the subject reports a sensation like "being drugged" and are removed from the scene with military precision to an alien craft. Most abductees report being subjected to various physical tests and procedures once aboard the craft; such experiences typically include physical exams, genetic experimentation and sperm and ovum extraction. After the experiments are concluded, the subject is returned to his or her original location relatively unharmed.
- Past Life Recall
This process uses hypnosis to bring memories of past lives to the conscious mind. Abduction cases using Past Life Recall often represent events of past lives where the subject lived as an alien. Subjects relate being in an underground military facility, sometimes on Mars, the Moon and even under the Earth's oceans. This suggests two very interesting possibilities.
A. During telepathic communication some memories are subconsciously transferred.
B. The subject is recalling actual past life memories of their own.